Applying Customer Payments in QuickBooks Online
If you are invoicing your clients in QuickBooks, you need to know how to apply the payments you receive against the open invoices.
To apply a client payment to an invoice in QuickBooks Online:
- Click on the quick create (plus sign) in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Click on receive payment under the column called members.
- Enter the details:
- Customer name
- Payment date
- Payment method
- Reference number (check number if paid by check)
- Deposit to the checking account where the funds are going
- Amount received (how much was paid, not how much was owed)
- Check the boxes for the invoices that were paid
- Enter the payment amount that was paid toward each invoice
- Click save and new (or save and close) in the lower right corner